In Celebration of the Election of Bp. Michael Curry as the First African-American Bishop

The Union of Black Episcopalians sends congratulations and lifts up in prayer, longtime member, the Rt. Rev. Michael B. Curry on being elected the Episcopal Church’s first African- American presiding bishop.

“We are ecstatic that the wider Church and Communion will now have the opportunity to
experience the intellect, sensitivity and God-led spirit of Bishop Curry,” said Canon Annette Buchanan, National President of the UBE.

“We continue to pray for him as he takes the helm during a time where, among other things, racism rears its ugly head even higher and we, as Black people, have to affirm that our lives do matter.”


Prior to Generation Convention, on June 23, UBE presented Curry with The Rt. Rev. Quintin Primo Honors Award at its annual Legendary Tribute and Gala. This award recognizes persons, lay or ordained, whose ministry demonstrates excellence and passion in effectively building diverse communities; faithful demonstration of Christian courage and grace when facing strong opposition to such witness; pastoral wisdom in speaking truth to the Church and to society; and prophetic effectiveness in advancing caring ministries to the least and neediest, locally and/or beyond. 

Buchanan said it is these qualities and more that Bishop Curry possesses and will “bring to this new role that our Lord and Savior has prepared him for.” 

In accepting his award Curry said, “I have been coming to this place since I was a child. Bishop Primo and my father were friends and my Dad was a priest. My Dad would bring me to the UBE and I would participate in the activities. I was mentored and developed by the people of the UBE. I was a youth preacher and learned from people in my church in Buffalo. It was there that I learned the power of the stillness of grace and faith. So, it is particularly meaningful to receive this award.” 

Comments

Popular Posts