Frustration around Palestine Israel

Yesterday, the United Church of Christ joined the Methodist and Presbyterian churches in committing to enact a divestment policy that might pressure Israel to end its 48-year occupation.  In the following article, Vicky Gray shares her deep frustration and pain that The Episcopal Church looks like it may not follow suit.
An ordained trans woman, I should be overjoyed at our continued progress on LGBT inclusion. I am. But, again, I leave in tears at the obstruction in our church for the long-suffering Palestinians who, for a decade, have been petitioning us to enact a divestment policy that could bring about change.  Resolutions from California and Hawai'i having been pushed aside, the legislative committee is left with but one watered-down call (D016) to look into the matter and report back in 2017.

Why?  Because we are afraid of conflict, afraid of being called anti-Semites, and, under threat, afraid that our dialogue of the deaf with the Jewish Establishment will be ended.

Yet, we at EPF have worked at GC with young Jews from Jewish Voice for Peace who agree that criticism of the recalcitrant Netanyahu Government is in no way anti-Semitic.  And, with them, the dialogue with Jews who believe in the universal ideals of the prophets flourishes.

In my sadness, I re-read Presiding Bishop-elect Michael Curry's GC 2012 sermon "Crazy Christians."  In it, he alluded to Mary Magdala.  And that reminded me of a poem by the late Jane Kenyon - "Woman, Why Are You Weeping?"  In a boat on the Ganges, as she watches the bodies of dead babies floating by, she's asked that question.  She replies, “I have lost my Lord and I don't know how to find him.” As I leave General Convention, I do so with a similar feeling.  Oh, my Lord - Jesus - is closer than ever.  But I have lost my Church and I don't know how to find it.

 - Vicki Gray,
Episcopal Peace Fellowship Palestine Israel Network


Comments

Popular Posts